This interactive presentation will provide an overview of paid and unpaid leave laws governing employers throughout Canada, with views from seven provinces – including Quebec. Attendees will be provided with guidance and strategies to navigate the challenges of complying with varying and multifaceted leave laws across the country.
Topics to be addressed include:
- Non-Occupational Medical Leaves
- Accommodating and managing medical leaves – a multi-party process
- Communicating with the absent employee, including obtaining appropriate medical information
- Can an employee be dismissed while on a medical leave?
- Statutory Leaves
- Statutory leaves across Canada – including unusual or new leaves in each jurisdiction
- Employer obligations – paid v. unpaid, benefit continuation, return to work requirements, pay increases, seniority accruals, etc.
- Religious Considerations
- When can an employee take time off work for religious observance?
- Is an employer required to provide paid time off? When?
- Family Status Leaves
- Current law as it relates to family status leaves
- Is the test different for child care v. elder care obligations?
- The View from Quebec
- As a Civil Code jurisdiction, how do the laws in Quebec differ from the rest of Canada?
- Is there anything unique about Quebec when it comes to leaves?
Who Should Attend?
The webinar is an invitation-only event exclusively for clients of ELA member law firms. The information presented will be of particular interest to all involved in ensuring compliance with leave law regulations:
- In-house Counsel
- Human Resources Professionals
- Corporate Executives and Business Owners
Sherrard Kuzz LLP
Nova Scotia, Canada
Roper Greyell LLP
British Columbia, Canada
Loranger Marcoux LLP Quebec, Canada