NOTE: If you want to listen to or view the contents of this webinar, you must register on the ELA website here or, if you have previously created an account, log in using the link in the top right. After your account is created, you will have access to all past webinars.
Click here to download the webinar power point slides
Click here to download the webinar Certificate of Attendance
Click here to access the webinar Q&A
One of the greatest challenges for employers in Canada is managing employees who seek accommodation for medical reasons. Whether it is to identify and provide an appropriate modified work schedule or a leave of absence, the strategy starts with obtaining meaningful medical information. Featuring experienced lawyers from every Canadian province, this webinar will provide a cross-country perspective, including best practices and key take-aways, on the following issues for managing employees with medical issues.
- What information can (and should) an employer request from an employee – and when?
- What is the difference between medical accommodations vs. preference?
- What is the employee’s role in the accommodation process?
- When can an employer get an IME /Medical File review?
- Can an employer require an employee to take a medical leave of absence?
- When is it the end of the road – when is there a “frustration of contract”?
- Shana French, Moderator, Sherrard Kuzz, Toronto, Ontario
- Paul Clemens, McKercher, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- Roger S. Hofer, Q.C. Neuman Thompson, Edmonton, Alberta
- James D. Kondopulos, Roper Greyell, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Cynthia Lazar, Taylor McCaffrey, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Krista Smith, Barteaux Durnford, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Kseniya Veretelnik, Laronger Marcoux, Montreal, Quebec