CHANG Qi-Yang is a Partner in the Commercial & Corporate Disputes Practice.
His main areas of practice are commercial and corporate disputes, employment and international arbitration.
Qi-Yang regularly advises on a broad range of legal issues, including commercial and contractual disputes, shareholder disputes, defamation, workplace safety and health investigations and all aspects of employment law.
Qi-Yang graduated from the National University of Singapore, where he was also awarded the Koh Han Kok Book Prize. He was admitted to the Singapore Bar in 2011.
Qi-Yang has been recommended by his clients as their " go-to lawyer because of his understanding of the law is sound, provides practical advice and is fee-sensitive" according to The Legal 500: Asia Pacific Guide.
Matters of significance in which Qi-Yang has been involved in include acting/advising for the following:
- Counsel for one of the most prominent private equity firms in Asia in respect of an employment termination and carried interest claim in excess of US$75 million.
- Successfully acted as lead counsel in an international arbitration for a Chinese steel company against one of the largest listed steel conglomerates in India to enforce payment which was intercepted by a third party fraudster.
- Successfully acted for the incoming master tenants and management at the former Bukit Timah Turf Club to prove a conspiracy by the outgoing master tenants to injure their business.
- Lead counsel in a shareholders’ dispute involving the company which produced the “The LKY Musical”.
- Singapore Press Holdings Limited in a copyright infringement action involving a controversial Singapore website known as "The Real Singapore".
- Regularly advising large multinational employers on labour disputes, trade union agreements, internal and regulatory investigations.