On November 30, Presidential Decrees No. 956/2020 and 961/2020 were published in the Official Gazette providing the extension of the social distancing order (known locally as “Social, Preventive and Mandatory Distancing” or DISPO) and the lockdown order (known locally as “Social, Preventive and Mandatory Isolation” or ASPO) from November 30 to December 20, 2020. In addition, an order duplicating severance pay in cases of dismissal without just cause was also extended until January 25, respectively.
- From November 30 to December 20, social distancing orders will be in force throughout the country, except for the cities of Bariloche and Dina Huapi in the Province of Río Negro; and the city of Puerto Deseado in the Province of Santa Cruz.
- Social distancing means that people can circulate within the city they live in, work and carry out their activities, provided they keep a 2-meter (6-foot) distance from each other and follow established protocols.
- Lockdown means that people must remain in their residences and avoid leaving their homes, unless they are carrying out an essential activity or an activity exempted from isolation, in which case they must have a circulation permit.
- Public transportation: The use of public transportation throughout the country is authorized only for (i) essential workers (defined locally as “persons engaged in an essential activity”), (ii) individuals undergoing medical treatment, (iii) their caretakers, (iv) staff and students attending in-person classes.
- Circulation ban: People with confirmed COVID-19 results and/or those suspected of having COVID-19 will not be allowed to circulate throughout the country.
- Individuals exempted from attending the workplace: people over the age of 60, pregnant women, people in so-called risk groups, and people who must remain home to care for children and teenagers continue to be exempted from the duty of attendance to the workplace. Employees over the age of 60, pregnant women and those included in so-called risk groups who do not work from their residence will receive a non-remunerative compensation equivalent to their usual remuneration, net of contributions to the Social Security System.
- Order duplicating severance pay is extended: The severance pay duplication provided by Presidential Decree No. 34/2019 is extended until January 25, 2021 meaning that, when dismissed without just cause, the terminated employee will be entitled to receive twice the corresponding severance pay. This “duplication” does not apply to employees admitted after December 13, 2019.