Rosalee McNamara represents businesses and organizations in employment and litigation matters throughout the United States. She has successfully defended – from charge to jury verdict – a wide array of employment discrimination complaints and collective actions, and has handled numerous court and jury trials in federal and state court.
Ms. McNamara’s successes include:
- class/collective actions;
- defends and counsels clients regarding claims of sexual and other harassment, disability, race, age, sex, national origin, and religious discrimination;
- Family and Medical Leave Act;
- Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act and related issues;
- hiring and reference procedures;
- employee discipline and termination;
- employee drug and alcohol testing policies and procedures;
- collective action wage and overtime claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act;
- employer benefits; and
- noncompetition agreements.
Ms. McNamara conducts internal investigations and training for private and public employers, and presents seminars on employment-related issues. Her clients include national manufacturers, entertainment and hospitality companies, educational organizations, professional and financial institutions, construction and engineering, healthcare, technology companies, and non-profit organizations.
Ms. McNamara has been a guest lecturer on legal issues at several universities.She also has served on Lathrop Gage’s Executive Committee, and as Manager of the firm’s Labor & Employment Department.
- Defended a waste management company in a case involving a Fair Labor Standards Act collective action. Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a waste management company in a case involving a Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) collective action. The decision was affirmed by the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court denied certification.
- Settled a potential class action involving gender and pay discrimination on behalf of an apparel manufacturer. Defended an apparel manufacturer in a gender and pay discrimination matter. The matter settled and our client paid less than one percent of the original demand by the Office of Federal Corporate Compliance Programs (OFCCP) within the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Fellow, College of Labor & Employment Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell® “AV” Rating
- Named the Kansas City, Mo. Labor Law – Management “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers, 2013
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, 2007-2013
- Selected as “Leading Lawyer” by Chambers USA, 2004-2012
- Selected for Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers, and Top 50 Female Lawyers, 2005-2012
- Listed in The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers - U.S. Labour and Employment Lawyers
- Editor, Iowa Law Review
- American Employment Law Council
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Lawyers Association of Kansas City, Past Director
- The Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Lawyers Encouraging Academic Performance, Past Director
- Kansas City Municipal Officials Ethics Commission, appointed by Mayor
- Kansas City Tomorrow Civic Council Leadership Training Program
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fifth, Eighth and Tenth Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- District of Kansas
- District of Western District of Missouri
- Eastern District of Missouri
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D. with distinction
- Grinnell College, B.A.
Lathrop Gage offers an extensive labor and employment law and litigation practice. The firm represents management in matters involving federal and state labor laws, union campaigns and elections, grievance and arbitration proceedings, collective bargaining negotiations, strikes and union contract interpretations. We appear regularly in state and federal courts and before governmental administrative agencies, including the EEOC, Department of Labor, OFCCP, OSHA, NLRB, INS, and their state and local counterparts. Our day-to-day counseling and advice includes personnel matters, evaluation and discipline, force reductions and restructuring, wage and hour, affirmative action compliance, immigration, employee benefits issues, prevention audits, and employment policies and procedures of all types.
According to BTI Consulting, corporate counsel rank Lathrop Gage in the top 5 percent of all law firms for Complex Employment Litigation. Additionally, BTI ranks Lathrop Gage among the top 30 firms in the country for client service and satisfaction. In BTI's recent survey of hundreds of corporate counsel nationwide, Lathrop Gage earned high marks for anticipation of client needs, breadth of services, commitment to help, meeting scope and budget, and understanding clients' businesses, among others. We consistently seek and act upon client feedback. We are proud that our client roster includes relationships that span more than 25, 50, 75, and 100 years.
Firm Practice Areas
- Agribusiness & Food
- Banking & Creditors' Rights
- Biotechnology & Life Sciences
- Business Litigation
- Charitable and Other Exempt Organizations
- Construction Law
- Cybersecurity and Data Privacy
- Data Centers, Telecom, and Technology
- Employee Stock Ownership
- Environmental Law
- Financial Institutions
- Franchise and Brand Development
- Freight Transportation
- Governmental Relations
- Hospitality & Entertainment
- Intellectual Property
- Labor & Employment
- Media, Entertainment and Advertising
- Policyholder and Insurance Coverage
- Product Liability and Personal Injury
- Real Estate
- Tax & Employee Benefits
- Toxic and Mass Tort
- Wealth Strategies